The Financial Controller oversees the day to day activities of the finance team, ensures the companies finance function is organized and efficient, and produces accurate financial and management accounts.
The Controller also manages the department providing information, primarily financial in nature, about all company activities that will assist management, its shareholders and other users in making educated economic decisions about the Company's future.
Bank of America
The median salary for a Controller is $199,102. Typical salaries range between $130,142 and $275,699
How to get there:
A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance plus CPA certification is required.
One must also have 10 years of hands-on accounting managerial experience. Individuals in Controller positions must also be computer literate with good excel skills and have experience with accounting software principles. Leadership experience is also essential. One must be able to demonstrate good attention to detail, a hands on approach, and good judgment showing logical decision making skills.
- Possess the ability to work in an dynamic environment
- Strong general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, income tax and banking
- Very computer friendly
- Spreadsheet proficient (hardware and software)
- SEC/Contractual negotiation a plus
- Familiar with the latest computer technology
The next role in the career path of a Financial Controller would be Finance Director.
- Composition I and Advanced Composition/Writing
- CMN 101- Public Speaking
- CMN 211- Business Communication
- ECON 460- Financial Economics
- ECON 471- Intro to Applied Econometrics
- ECON 475- Economic Forecasting
- FIN 221- Corporate Finance
- *Actuarial Courses (MATH & FIN)
Relevant Clubs & Organizations:
- ASCEND Student Chapter
- Beta Alpha Psi Professional Business Society
- Business Professionals of America (BPA)
- Finance Club
- Accounting Club