My research fields are spatial econometrics theory, empirical studies in growth theory & international macroeconomics, and interdisciplinary studies in the social sciences. Theoretically, I develop test and estimation for spatial econometric models. Notably, I model the dependence structure of the error distribution by the type of data to identify the source & characteristics of endogeneity and develop testings which determine the presence of such endogeneity in spillover effects. For applied studies, I find empirical evidence on non-predetermined spillover effects in growth theory and international macroeconomics. I also aim for interdisciplinary studies in the social sciences to find empirical evidence on the social or political spillover effects on the economic outcomes.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Economics, May 2023 (Expected)
- Dissertation: Essays on Endogenous Spatial & Social Interactions
- Committee: Anil K. Bera (Chair), EunYi Chung, Bo Li, Xiaofeng Shao
- Master of Science (MS) in Mathematics, 2022
- Master of Science (MS) in Statistics-Applied, 2021
Ewha Womans University, South Korea
- Master of Arts (MA) in Economics, 2016
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics, 2013
- Primary: Econometrics Theory, Spatial Econometrics.
- Secondary: Applied Macroeconomics: Growth, International Macroeconomics.
- Tertiary: Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Sciences: Sociology, Politics.
*Published in Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) journals
Lee, Jieun., Hlasny, Vladimir. (2023). Workers’ Social Capital and Employment Outcomes: The Case of MENA Countries (Accepted). Research Handbook on Poverty and Inequality, Part II: Measurement and Analysis of Poverty and Inequality, Chapter 16. Edward Elgar Publishing.
*Lee, Jieun., Hlasny, Vladimir. (2022). Social Capital and Workers’ Job Prospects in the MENA Region (Accepted). Sociologický časopis/Czech Sociological Review.
*Hlasny, Vladimir., Lee, Jieun. (2020). Investment in social capital by the Korean elderly and baby-boomers. The Journal of the Economics of Ageing, 17, 100256.
Lee, Jieun., Hlasny, Vladimir. (2019). The Effect of Social Capital on Individuals’ Economic Outcomes in the MENA Region. Topics in Middle Eastern And North African Economies, 21(1).
Testing Endogeneity of Spatial Weights Matrices in Spatial Dynamic Panel Data Models (Job Market Paper)
Evidence and Strategy on Economic Distance in Spatially Augmented Solow-Swan Growth Model (Under Review)
Moral Hazard on Productivity Among Work-From-Home Workers Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic (Under Review)
Work in Progress
Conference & Seminar Presentations
Testing Endogeneity of Spatial Weights Matrices in Spatial Dynamic Panel Data Models
- Spatial Econometrics Association (SEA) Online Monthly Seminar, Jun 13, 2023. (scheduled)
- KAEA (Korea-America Economic Association) Job Market Conference Joint with KEA (Korean Economic Association), Nov 3, 2022.
- Midwest Econometrics Group (MEG) 2022 Conference, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA, Oct 27-29, 2022.
- Mentoring Workshop for Junior Women in Midwest Econometrics Group (MEG) 2022 Conference, Mentor: Xu Lin, Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Virginia Tech.
- Job Market Research Workshop, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, USA, Sep 26, 2022.
The Effect of Social Capital on Individuals’ Economic Outcomes in the MENA Region
- 39th Annual MEEA Meeting in conjunction with the Allied Social Sciences Association (ASSA), Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Jan 3-7, 2019.
Investment in Social Capital by Korean Baby-Boomers and the Elderly
- Aging & Society: Seventh Interdisciplinary Conference, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, USA, Nov 3-4, 2017.
- Korea and the World Economy(15th): New Economic Paradigm and Sustainable Development, Korea Federation of Banks, Seoul, Korea, Aug 5-6, 2016.
- The 13th East Asian Social Policy Network International Annual Conference, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea, Jul 1-2, 2016.
Professional Service & Affiliations
Referee for Spatial Economic Analysis.
Member of Spatial Econometrics Association (SEA), Korean Academic Economic Association (KAEA), Korean Women Economists Networking (KWEN).
Matlab, R, Python, SQL, Stata, LaTex, Git version control, Angular