The University of Illinois Board of Trustees has designated the MSPE Program as a cost recovery program. Because of this, the University of Illinois is not permitted to offer any financial aid to international students in the MSPE Program.
A limited, strictly merit-based tuition scholarship fund is available for U.S. citizens who meet the University's Illinois residency requirement. Contact the MSPE office for more information.
Since the MSPE Program is a cost recovery program, students are not eligible to receive tuition and fee waivers except statutory waivers (see Graduate College Handbook page 47). For example, while enrolled in the MSPE Program, students may not hold waiver-generating appointments (e.g. teaching, research, or graduate assistantships), receive stand-alone waivers, or receive employee waivers.
Again, only statutory waivers are eligible to offset tuition for the MSPE Program. Applicable statutory waivers include:
- Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarships (105 ILCS 5/30-16)
- Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) Scholarships and Fee Waiver
(20 ILCS 505/8)
- Senior Citizen Courses Act (110 ILCS 990)
- Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver (110 ILCS 305/9)
- Illinois Veteran Grants (110 ILCS 947/40)
- Illinois National Guard Grants (110 ILCS 947/45)
- MIA/POW Scholarships (105 ILCS 5/30-14.2)
Contact the MSPE office if you are eligible for any of these statutory waivers.
More information regarding these statutory waivers can be found under "Mandatory Waivers" at https://www.pb.uillinois.edu/what-we-do/budget-planning-and-analysis/tuition/policy-on-tuition-and-fee-waivers.cfm.