The University of Illinois is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana (C-U) in east-central Illinois. C-U is situated about 140 miles south of Chicago, 125 miles west of Indianapolis, and 180 miles northeast of St. Louis.
Travel Options to Champaign-Urbana
- University of Illinois Willard Airport (airport code CMI)
- AMTRAK has service between downtown Chicago and Champaign
- Peoria Charter serves many different locations including the Bloomington Airport as well as both Chicago Airports (O'Hare and Midway)
- Illini Shuttle provides service between Chicago and Champaign and will pick up and/or drop off students at both Chicago airports (O'Hare and Midway)
- Greyhound has daily service between downtown Chicago and Champaign
Note that the train and most bus/shuttle services arrive at the Illinois Terminal, located at 45 East University Avenue in downtown Champaign (about one mile from campus).
Travel Options Within Champaign-Urbana
After you have arrived to Champaign-Urbana (by airplane, train, or bus/shuttle), you will need to secure transportation from your drop-off point to your final destination (e.g. dormitory, apartment, etc.).
Suggested modes of transportation (you are responsible for making arrangements and associated costs) within Champaign-Urbana. Area taxi companies and ride sharing services frequently serve the Illinois Terminal on the west side (front).
- Uber (ride sharing service)
- Lyft (ride sharing service)
- MTD (city bus from Illinois Terminal--limited hours of operation and destinations)
- Taxi cab (Google for options)