An Independent Study may be approved for course credit as ECON 199 or 399 (coordinated through the Economics Undergraduate Studies Office), or faculty may pay students using their research funds (coordinate with HR in the 214 DKH). Unpaid students (those receiving course credit) should be completing a project or working on items that build their academic development, not just cleaning data or smaller administrative tasks.