There are many exams that allow a student to try to earn proficiency credit on-campus. Proficiency exams are offered at various times depending on the department. Visit the Placement & Proficiency Website for All Available Exams
Economics Proficiency Exams
We usually offer Proficiency Exams for Microeconomic Principles (ECON 102) & Macroeconomic Principles (ECON 103) to current Illinois students at the beginning and end of each semester (on-campus), and once during the summer (online). Those passing the exam will receive credit for the course.
- Micro & Macro are separate exams (sign-up for each individually).
- Micro & Macro exams may only be attempted one time each.
- Students are given 2 hours to take the exam; Students may finish early.
- Exams are multiple-choice with around 40-50 questions.
- The passing score is set by the Economics Department and demonstrates knowledge within the subject area.
Detailed instructions are emailed to students who have signed-up.
Click on the items below to expand the information
Upcoming Economics Proficiency Exams
Summer Online Exam
July 8 - August 11
|N/A||Proctor U||Online||Available on June 28 - August 4|
Sep 4 (Wednesday)
|Available approximately 2 weeks prior to exam|
Sep 5 (Thursday)
|5pm-7pm||DKH*||On-Campus||Available approximately 2 weeks prior to exam|
*Room Location provided to students when signing up and in an email confirmation prior to the exam.
Sign-up is pending availability (limited seating)
- 2 hours provided
- Arrive 10 minutes before the exam starts
- Bring a pencil and simple function calculator
- Multiple-choice exam
- Results take approximately one week (they will be emailed to the student)
Please pay special attention to the date, time, and format when signing up for a test, and ensure that you only sign-up/take each exam once. Please pay attention to detailed information when you register.
- You must register for an exam at least 48 hours before the exam time. There is limited capacity available for On-Campus exams, so please register early. Online exams do not have a capacity limit.
- CANCELLATIONS MUST BE SENT BY EMAIL ONLY (firstname.lastname@example.org) BY 12:00 NOON THE DAY BEFORE THE SCHEDULED EXAM. Cancellations may NOT be made by calling the department office.
- STUDENTS WILL ALSO HAVE TO CANCEL WITH PROCTORU FOR ONLINE EXAMS.
Students who miss the exam without notifying the Department of Economics prior to noon the day before will not be provided another attempt to take that exam, unless approved by the Undergraduate Office with proper documentation. There is NO PENALTY for students who cancel by the noon the day before the exam, but only one cancellation per exam will be allowed.