Undergraduate Supporting Coursework for Economics (BALAS)

The Supporting Coursework Requirement enhance your Economics degree by providing a focused concentration of knowledge outside of the economics discipline. The concentration promotes multidisciplinary perspectives, and encourages students to build their skills. This requirement should align with your future pursuits and interests.

Double Majors, Dual Degrees, and Minor Coursework may be used (check with an Advisor to confirm if yours meets all of the requirements as some minors may not fulfill all of the requirements without additional courses due to duplicates within the Economics Major, such as ACE, INFO, and STAT).

Meet with an Econ Advisor to Discuss Supporting Coursework

Schedule an Appointment with an Economics Advisor to discuss options which fit your academic and career plans. An advisor will need to approve your Supporting Coursework plan using a Major Plan of Study form (completed during an appointment), which we recommend to be done your Junior year.

Main Requirements for the Economics Major:

  • At least 18 hours

  • 12 hours at the 200-level or above

  • ECON Major Requirements Not Approved

    • NO ECON Courses/Cross-listed ECON Courses; NO MATH/STAT fulfilling Econ Requirement (MATH 220/221/231, etc.)

  • Courses Must be taken for a letter grade: NO credit/no-credit, proficiency, AP, IB, or A-level credit

  • Transfer courses may be used (may show as 'CR' or 'TR')~ okay if articulated as 1--, 2--, 3--, or 4--

  • Restrictions on other courses: 

    • NO: Composition 1, Seminars, or Independent Studies

    • Language Courses must be at 5th level or above

Supporting Coursework is a requirement of all Economics Majors to graduate, and must be approved by an Economics Advisor during an Advising Appointment. We recommend you discuss with an Advisor starting very early in your academic career, planning your schedule as these courses will span multiple semesters. Your approved plan (Major Plan of Study- MPS) is submitted by an Economics Advisor to the LAS College Office, and should be approved by your Junior year as you begin taking your courses (required before graduation)