The Minor in Economics enables students to conduct comprehensive study within the discipline of economics. It requires some depth within economics (18-21 hours), but is not as extensive as the Economics Majors (30-42 hours). Undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program at Illinois are not required to complete a minor for degree certification. However, many find this a desirable opportunity to study at some depth in a subject matter of additional interest to their major field of study.
The Minor in Economics benefits students in all majors throughout campus who are unable to do a double major or dual degree in economics. Economics is concerned with the creation, consumption, and transfer of wealth, important areas for all students to understand. The economics minor will increase students’ understanding of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, or Econometrics.
Minors are only available for current Undergraduate Students per the Provost's Website
The Economics Minor will follow the below process:
- Complete Prerequisite Courses with Required Grades: Students must fulfill the prerequisite requirements within the specific minor track they would like to add before applying to the minor (all coursework must be complete with the required grade/GPA listed).
- Apply: The link to apply is listed on each of the minor track pages, and only requires basic information (sign-in, fill in expected graduation, minor track requested), and all other information will be pulled from student records.
- Review: Applications are reviewed at least every other week, and students are notified of a decision (approved, or not approved). If an application is approved, students are notified of the steps to officially add the minor to their record. If an application is not approved, students will be notified of the reason (consistent with the declaration criteria).
- Decisions are only based on a student fulfilling the requirements to declare the minor, no additional information is considered.
- There is not a capacity for the minor; all students fulfilling the minor criteria will be approved.
- We are unable to review applications on an individual basis.
- If students are denied because they do not fulfill the requirements, they may re-apply once they have met the requirements.
Please visit the minor track page below and review the requirements in order to apply for the specific minor track. The link to the application is available at the bottom of each track page.
- Priority registration is provided to Economics Majors Only.
- Minor students will be provided information on course registration once applications have been approved and processed.
- Additional information will be available on our website, and in the course section information each semester during the registration period.
- Overrides will not be provided to Minor students into courses.
The Economics Minor provides three Tracks: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, or Econometrics.
Students will select one Track when they declare the minor, and take coursework within the Track. Different criteria is required for each track, and may be found on the individual track pages.
Please make sure you have read through the information we have on our website, as it provides details for a variety of situations and answers the majority of questions. The Minor Track Pages have the link to apply.
If you still have questions, you may email email@example.com.
We only meet with Economics Minor students (interested and declared) during Express Advising.