The Minor in Economics enables students to conduct comprehensive study within the discipline of economics. It requires some depth within economics (18-21 hours), but is not as extensive as the Economics Majors (30-42 hours). Undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program at Illinois are not required to complete a minor for degree certification. However, many find this a desirable opportunity to study at some depth in a subject matter of additional interest to their major field of study.
The Minor in Economics benefits students in all majors throughout campus who are unable to do a double major or dual degree in economics. Economics is concerned with the creation, consumption, and transfer of wealth, important areas for all students to understand. The economics minor will increase students’ understanding of Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, or Econometrics.
Minors are only available for current Undergraduate Students per the Provost's Website
The Economics Minor will follow the below process:
- Complete Prerequisite Courses with Required Grades: Students must fulfill the prerequisite requirements within the specific minor track they would like to add before applying to the minor (all coursework must be complete with the required grade/GPA listed).
- Apply with LAS: Complete the Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor form located on the LAS Minor webpage. You simply need to select Economics from the drop down menu and input your graduation term/year.
- Review: Applications are reviewed at least every other week, and students are notified of a decision (approved, or not approved). If an application is approved, an Econ Advisor will email students a secondary form to complete to select their preferred minor track. If an application is not approved, students will be notified of the reason (consistent with the declaration criteria).
- Decisions are only based on a student fulfilling the requirements to declare the minor, no additional information is considered.
- There is not a capacity for the minor; all students fulfilling the minor criteria will be approved.
- If students are denied because they do not fulfill the requirements, they may re-apply once they have met the requirements.
The Economics Minor provides three Tracks: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, or Econometrics.
Students will select one Track when they declare the minor, and take coursework within the Track. Different criteria is required for each track, and may be found on the individual track pages
Please email email@example.com.
We only meet with Economics Minor students (interested and declared) during Express Advising.